Sunday, August 23, 2009

Black Tooth Grin: The Hangover

I wasn't worried what would happen when the book came out. I knew what I had done. I knew that the gripes and accusations that had been aimed at me in the (long) run-up to its publication didn't have any real basis in fact. But there had been so many slings and arrows to deal with, I still wondered what the reaction would be. Not really from reviewers. From Darrell's fans, and his family.

The latter group? I'm still wondering. I haven't heard anything from Vince or Rita, or anyone in their camps. As far as the fans go, I haven't had anyone threaten bodily harm -- far from it. I expected at least a bit of that, and I'd imagine there is at least one or two people who would do so if they were in the same room with me. But so far, my face looks exactly the same as it did before. I don't walk with a limp. Etc., and so on.

There are things I regret, but nothing I would change. Except posting this. Because now I think I may well have jinxed myself.

Aim for the stomach.